Sweet is not exactly a word that describes me, but my husband set up my blog, and that is what he named it. Seeing that he is my biggest fan, how could I change it?




Friday, November 9, 2012

Young Life


   
When we moved home 3 1/2 years ago, we decided to move to Madison and put our children in Madison Public Schools.  Because they knew no one in Madison, I was determined to find a Christian organization that my children could be involved in.  I knew Young Life was big in Jackson, but when I started investigating it, I found Madison Central  did not have it yet.  I heard through the grapevine that Ron Veazey, a person I knew in high school, had also been interested in starting it up.  So Ron and I, along with the area director and a few others got together and set out to start Young Life in Madison.

The first year consisted of finding a leader, forming a committee and telling parents about YL.  Scott Brewer, the young man we hired to be our Madison Representative, spent his first year just meeting students and forming relationships.  That year, we were thrilled to have 8 kids sign up for summer camp. The following year, we had over 30 at camp and 100 kids that attended club.  This year we plan on it growing even more.  Their summer camp is the heart of YL, where so many lives are changed.  Two of my children were those individuals.

Last night, we had our first Madison YL banquet.  I can not tell you how wonderful it was to see the room filled with parents that were there to learn about YL and show their support.  I know so many lives of teens that this group has touched.  Scott Brewer, Ginger Tramel, along with our other leaders have given so much of their time helping our children in their walk with Christ.  I love these young people and I am so thankful for the organization of Young Life in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment