Sweet is not exactly a word that describes me, but my husband set up my blog, and that is what he named it. Seeing that he is my biggest fan, how could I change it?




Thursday, September 8, 2011

Texting

                                                                     "Everlasting"
                                                                         24 x 24
                                                              Mixed Media on board
                                                                           Sold

Texting. I like it, yet hate it too. I confess, I text. I do it for convenience, to communicate something quick and short, but also when I don't want to talk to someone on the phone. However, I also believe it is inhibiting our children in learning the necessary skills of communication. They text to "get to know" someone, to ask someone out, to break up.... They text instead of talking. They are missing so much of the developmental process of becoming functioning individuals in society today. By not talking face to face, they are not learning to read different inflections in a voice or body language. Teens today will have an ongoing text for hours, instead of just dialing a number on their phone and have a normal chat with the person.

I also believe they often hide behind texting and often do not own up to the noncommittal, insinuated words because they were never spoken. It upsets me, and today because it has brought on heartache in my household, "I'm spitting mad about it" (as only a southerner would say). But, I have learned that I need to calm down and not spout off something I'll regret later, so that may just have to be a post from another day. So, for today, I DO NOT like texting, even though I have already done it 3 times this morning.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Cissy,
    If you knew my children, you could ask them how many times i have said the same words!
    Yes, it is good...helps me stay in touch with Kathryn so far away at Clemson and Spencer so far away in Texas and Taylor not so far away but still not home.
    Like a hammer, it can be used for good or evil.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Cissy! Cool Painting! I too have a love hate relationship with texting! Honestly everyone probably does! Its for sure we will have good spellers and amazing Typists. Is that how you spell that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - I missed this one yesterday. I really like this one too! Texting! As Ruthie said - definitely a love/hate thing. I like it because I can communicate with my husband and kids,and an occasional friend ;) while I'm at work - not that my boss cares if I take phone calls, but it allows me to still get the "call" while I'm busy doing other things; then I can read it and respond when I can. I agree though, that it can be misused and can potentially cause problems due to the anonymity factor. I guess the next phase is that we just think something and it is retrieved by someone else. Now THAT'S scary!

    ReplyDelete