Sweet is not exactly a word that describes me, but my husband set up my blog, and that is what he named it. Seeing that he is my biggest fan, how could I change it?




Monday, September 26, 2011

A New World

                                                                         20 x 24
                                                                     Mixed Media
                                                                         (Sold)
This is one of pieces I painted for my first art show on October 11th at the Mississippi Museum of Art celebrating Portico Magazine's 10 rising artist. I feel truly honored to be picked as one of these artist.

While painting this piece, I really wanted to focus on texture. My goal was to create a look of concrete. I think I accomplished it, although the photo does not do it justice. So, I guess you'll just have to come to the show and see for yourself!

One of the questions asked by Portico for their article was "what gives me inspiration". My answer was simply that my paintings are statements evolving from personal experiences in my life. I try to communicate through my work, my feelings, gratitude, faith and my past. I guess that is why I seem to gravitate towards white in a lot of my paintings. I try to express a sense of freedom, cleansing and a new life. I often want it to be soothing, without any of my past turmoil. As I have said before, my art is so healing for me. Thank you for letting me share it with you.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Another really niece piece Cis! I really like this, and am so thrilled for your recognition. This is probably just the beginning for you! So happy for your success. Keep up the good work and keep painting what feels good to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cissy , this is great and congratulations . That is fabulous. I also like your description of your work and feel you are right on accomplishing what you have set out to do. Keep painting and I hope your show is a success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lisa and Diane for you constant support. How fortunate am I that we all met in Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete