Sweet is not exactly a word that describes me, but my husband set up my blog, and that is what he named it. Seeing that he is my biggest fan, how could I change it?




Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Forgiveness and Grace


Today's post has nothing to do with my painting. It is just something I did today, after my sweet friend Lisa kindly helped me with the Island Ladies that she does, and I love so much. Today I want to write about forgiveness and grace.

The other day, a friend used against me something I had said and done a couple of months ago. I had done it out of anger, and I knew I was wrong. Feeling remorseful, I asked for forgiveness. Although things weren't quite the same, things did seem to be patched up somewhat. Then a situation arose, and I was expressing how I felt, and BOOM, it was thrown back at me to justify themself. I'm not saying I am faultless, because I'm not, but in reality, it had no validity to the point I was making. This person has no idea the magnitude of the pain I felt with that one little sentence. It brought to my memory, once again, the years I lived under constant condemnation from people I knew and loved.

So, why am I telling you this? I guess I am trying to remind us of a life lesson that we all need to remember. It's about forgiveness and grace. Each of us are human beings living in a fallen world. We hurt individuals, and we too are sinned against. However, so few of us are willing to look at ourselves and see what role we have played. Where we have been wrong in the situation. This is where we need to ask for forgiveness, and if they in turn do the same, move forward with out resentment. We do not need to keep reminding each other of our past sins. They were forgiven. I feel very strongly about this. The reality of forgiveness was a life changing experience for me. My light bulb moment.

It was after about the 500th time my sin was brought up, and told that one day I would be accountable for it, I finally said to myself, "but I've asked forgiveness for those sins. And doesn't the Bible say that once confessed, He puts our sins as far as the east is from the west, and remembers them no more?" That simple thought changed my life, and gave me the courage to begin fighting not only for myself, but for my family. There were many, many dark days ahead, but I had found grace and freedom.

This last painful situation has reminded me of how important it is for each of us ask forgiveness when we have wrong someone, and if asked, to give those that have hurt us the same grace. In reality, none of us deserve forgiveness, but because of God's unconditional love, He gives it to us through his Son. I'm glad I was reminded of this.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. It turned out great! Maybe I'm not such a bad teacher after all!!! haha - I can't take credit for it unfortunately! Just passing on good information. You did an awesome job on it! Can't wait to see how you might change it up on the next one!
    Your thoughts and words on forgiveness are very touching and true. Unfortunately, it seems some people never learn these lessons and figure out what is truly important in life. We can only hope that they eventually will. Sometimes it takes a real eye-opening event for people to see and understand what is important - forgiveness and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have read the above two time. thank you for this. oh, cannot forget to say that this picture is my FAVORITE of yours! way to go cissy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is only by His grace that we have been saved! Forgiven! and Restored! It is difficult not to be haunted by false guilt. But that is what it is! False Guilt. He is not a God of Guilt or I told you so's. He is a God of forgiveness! A God of Love and compassion! I am so thankful He is! I am so sorry your heart hurt!! Thank you for sharing such a tender moment! My fave verse... He has called me by name I am His! Isa. Love love love R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes...east from west. And seventy times seven.I read this today and thought of you- it's from Dallas Willard's The Divine Conspiracy: "Our hunger for significance is a signal of who we are and why we are here, and it also is the basis of humanity's enduring response to Jesus. For he always takes individual human beings as seriously as their shredded dignity demands, and he has the resources to carry through with his high estimate of them." I am chewing on those words. Dignity...it's been a recurring theme in my thoughts- I think it's how we CAN forgive- if we see ourselves and others clothed in His dignity, whether the description seems to fit or not. He gives it, and it's up to us to see it and live as if it's true,or not. I am choosing dignity for myself, and those I love. (And even those I don't really know-yet). I know you are too.

    ReplyDelete